Monday, January 14, 2008

La Vida Larga

My great uncle just turned 94 years young on Friday! As I am looking back through some photos from where he was this time last year (this photo is of us on his 93rd birthday at Palisades Hospital in North Bergen, NJ) I am reminded of the invaluable life lessons that he taught me then and continues to teach me now. Last year this time was shortly after the beginning of a long and grueling 5 1/2 months stay in the hospital. The family tried to do as much as we could and as exhausted as we were, we were always left feeling we could have done more. However, in the end he proved to be the strongest. I try to ask myself how do I begin to speak about a person and how could I possible end to speak of someone who has lived their life for those around them the way he has. Even to this day he is still thinking of ways to better life for the common person. 
If you ever have the time 
I'll show you the pictures of him working in the nickel mines at the age of 5
I'll tell you how he saved my grandmother's life
I'll introduce you to him
Let him show you his charm
Let his smile make yours bigger 
Let him tell you his stories
But you better have time 
Once he starts he doesn't stop